15 Fucked Up Things About The Laci Green Situation
- It is fucked up that people are ascribing death threats to “social justice” Tumblrs. I find it highly unlikely that anyone involved in Tumblr criticism of Laci Green sent her those threats, especially since criticism of cis white* lady bloggers tends to grind to a halt after such threats and the original critics inevitably get blamed for making them and have abuse heaped upon themselves.
- It is fucked up that she perpetuated the stereotype of “the Jewish nose” and made light of domestic violence.
- It is fucked up that she perpetuated the idea that Islam as a religion is more sexist than any other religion, especially since portraying Islam as especially sexist is one way neocolonialists justify stealing resources from and murdering Muslims.
- It is fucked up that she believes the friend zone exists.
- It is fucked up that she used t-slurs.
- It is fucked up that she used a t-slur in the apology for her original t-slurs.
- It is fucked up that bloggers decided they were going to police the way she talked about her own body and her own health and label her “fatphobic” for refusing to conform to their terms. I’m a fuck of a lot fatter than Laci Green is, and I want no part of a “fat acceptance” movement that treats people like this.
- It is fucked up that some people heard about the death threats and rushed to validate the emotions and feelings of the person who sent them. I believe this is called “abuse culture.”
- It is fucked up that activists on Tumblr spend half their time explaining that the culture we live in constantly bombards people with negative, oppressive beliefs about marginalized groups and the other half acting like people are being intentionally malicious when they regurgitate them.
- It is fucked up that people have so thoroughly thwarted the “tone argument” that they get away with vicious, hateful bullshit.
- It is fucked up that strangers can pretend they hate Laci Green. They can’t. They can hate what she did, they can hate her actions or her words, they can even hate what she has come to represent in the blogging community. But they don’t know Laci Green. They have a list of fucked-up things she’s done and said over the course of 3 years. That doesn’t recreate a human life.
- It is fucked up that someone threatened her and set out to make her feel unsafe.
- It is fucked up how routine threats and abuse are on Tumblr, especially toward POC and QPOC.
- It is fucked up how routinely Tumblr staff has demonstrated their commitment to ignoring this abuse unless it is leveled at the white people who use their platform.
- It is fucked up how unlikely this incident is to change that and how likely it is that it will get worse.
All of these things are fucked up. No one deserves to be silenced, on either side, not by confabulated complicity with the actions of one person and not BY the actions of that one person.
My ask box is open, anon is on; you can also reach me at garland [at sign] garlandgrey [round punctuation] com. All questions regarding my qualms with Fat Acceptance, as a person who is classified as “obese” by the American Medical Establishment, will take a little longer as I will be writing all my responses on my big, fat body.
*I know that Laci has mentioned her father is Iranian but I’ve never seen her identify as anything but white. I will gladly modify this post if I am wrong about that.
Phew, I finished my lesbian romance novel not five minutes ago and signed on to tumblr and this was the first thing about Laci Green I saw. Thank you Garland for hitting all of these angles and treating everyone involved like humans. I think I am ready to be on the internet again